Monday, November 28, 2011

Smoke in the Bluffs

Today, I saw smoke in the distant eastern bluffs and it brought back to me a wonderful memory from my childhood.  There was always summer adventure when Grandma and Grandpa came to visit.  I recall one such visit when I was all of seven or eight years old.  It was after supper and the reptile farm that my parents owned and operated was closed for the day.  All of a sudden, we saw what looked like smoke billowing from the bluffs, as if there was a fire somewhere.  For whatever reason (the details I can't recall), Dad and Grandpa decided to venture out to find the source of the smoke and they allowed me to tag along.  With a sense of complete excitement and anticipation of the adventure ahead of us, I piled into the backseat of Grandpa's car and off we went.  Strangely, I recall very little of the experience, save that anticipation and excitement as we set out into the summer evening.  In fact, I don't believe we ever even found the source of the smoke or sign of fire, but I remember having fun with the two most important men of my early life, a merry trio of adventurers riding around in the Baraboo bluffs until the summer sun set.  It's been some 45 years since that summer night and my extraordinary memories of that likely ordinary evening have yet to fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.