Friday, December 16, 2011

Lifesaver

I've admittedly been feeling somewhat blue all week.  The closer we get to Christmas, the more my heart aches for Mom and I increasingly mourn her loss.  I find myself wrapped up in nostalgia, thinking about one memory after another about her.  People have been so kind.  They've given me permission to grieve in their presence, surrounding me with understanding and love.  I've been keeping busy, too, both at work and with the social activities that Larry and I have had on our calendar.  But, no matter what I've done this week, that feeling of malaise has covered me like a cloak.  Then, today, I was tossed a lifesaver.  After attending an afternoon holiday party at my boss's house, Larry and I spontaneously decided to take a walk at Devil's Lake State Park.  We didn't have on the correct shoes but we did have heavy jackets.  So, despite the cold and the raw wind, we trekked.  It was as if I'd taken a magic pill.  Just being at Devil's Lake and walking along its foamy shores quieted my mind, raised my spirits and healed my sadness.  I've always found healing properties when in nature but today I experienced that balm deeply.

1 comment:

  1. I've been feeling that way too, though for different reasons. Yesterday I took a walk by the river, hoping it would have that healing effect, and it did.

    ReplyDelete

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.