Thursday, May 22, 2014

Ring those Bells

We're rapidly reaching that time of the year when the school bells will ring for the last time as summer break begins. When the days start to get warmer, I think back to when I was a little girl and the mixed feelings I would have as the school year wound down and endless summer vacation began. I always loved school, so I wasn't in a hurry to see it over. Then again, I loved summer, for it meant that my dad's annual lecture tour circuit would come to a close so he could be home with Mom and me for three solid months. I vividly recall my mom and dad picking me up on the last day of the school year some 50 years ago.  Dad was going to go snake hunting (lecturing in schools across the U.S. about the value of snakes was his occupation).  Mom had packed a lunch and we were going to wade in a nearby creek, admiring the marsh marigolds, while Dad attended to business. Then, we'd all picnic alongside the bubbling, babbling water. It was one of those glorious spring days when all seemed sunshine and relaxation. Worrying wasn't even in my vocabulary and time constraints couldn't have been farther from my mind. On these lovely spring days, part of me must still be that little girl, for I think of relaxing in nature, feeding my soul, packing a picnic and admiring the wondrous beauty of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.