Sunday, August 24, 2014

Best Medicine for Mind, Body and Soul

I recently read a quote by Hippocrates: "Walking is man's best medicine."  For three seasons of the year, I take walks in the evening. Most of the time, my husband Larry walks with me and most of the time, our walks take us to Devil's Lake State Park.  Our evening walks put a period on the end of the day for me. Forty-five minutes of fresh air, birdsong and sweet-scented breezes are just enough to give me time to meditate, enjoy gentle conversation, become present and feel relaxed. The walk is good for my physical health to be sure and I truly appreciate its benefits, but it's what it does for my mental well-being that is of particular blessing. In his five short words, I believe that Hippocrates was right. Walking is indeed man's (or woman's) best medicine. Walking is easy exercise, requiring no fancy equipment, no special skills, no organized effort, just appropriate shoes and a desire to put one foot in front of the other and get moving. No bitter pill here. Walking is the perfect medicine for my mind, body and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.