Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Some Summer Still To Be Savored

The thermometer registered 39 degrees on this mid-October morning, but as I gazed out of our kitchen window, there were still signs of summer to be had.  Our azalea bush was in late-season bloom.  The shrub's yellow flowers were like warm sunshine to me on this chilly day.  Even my breakfast was summery.  It included red, plump, juicy strawberries from the local farmer's market.  I've never seen strawberries -- really, big, tasty strawberries -- available at our outdoor market this late in the growing season.  Our recent, unseasonably warm weather may be the explanation for these last precious sights and tastes of summer, but I'll take them for as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.