Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Things In Common With Ariadne

I've decided that I'm the Ariadne Oliver of my day.  OK, perhaps not, but we do share some interests and beliefs.  Ariadne Oliver was a lesser known, but delightful, recurring character in Agatha Christie mysteries.  While we aren't soul mates, Ariadne and I do share a love for apples and a belief in intuition.  Ariadne was forever eating apples. I find myself doing the same thing this fall.  I can't seem to get enough of them.  Our refrigerator is rapidly filling up with bags of apples from Ski-Hi Fruit Farm.  My fear, it would seem, is that the orchard will close for the season and I won't be prepared with an ample apple supply to last me far into the winter.  As for the shared belief in intuition, I do indeed believe in and rely on that innate wisdom.  When we stop long enough to listen, really listen, I believe we have the capacity to hear that wise voice from within and to allow it to guide our decisions and choices.  Sometimes I don't want to hear that wise voice because it seems contrary to the louder voice in my head, but when I pay attention and allow myself to follow those nudges, right things happen.  Apple is my fruit right now, intuition is my guide and as I get older, I think I'm becoming more and more like Ariadne.

5 comments:

  1. It's Wed. and I heard that Jack Frost kissed the streets of Baraboo today !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a little more than a kiss from Jack Frost, I'm afraid! It was more like a big, surprise hug that knocked the wind out of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And there is too much noise around to hear what we really need to know. I have been sick for a few weeks, and I know that if I listen, and am aware, I will find what I need to help me be well. Today I listened, and I am just staying home, putting my treasures and work tools in order, thinking of friends, and wishing that the snow meant to me what it did when I was a kid. Wishing that all the Christmases past were here to come soon, instead of all the lonliness on top of the rush and hurry. (I also wish I could type better)HA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know well how you have suffered Keri, and my illness is a sort of constant. I have had major depression from the time I was about 14 years old. Of course no-one accepted it then, much less tried to help. I am grateful that much has changed since then, even much has changed in the past few years. There are medictions that seem to be nothing less than miraculas. The trouble with them is finding the right on or combination, and the fact that they take as much as a month or more to work.

    The problem I am facing right is that archaic insurance here in Stoughton. They only allow a minimal amount for mental illness, and I have exceede my limit for the year long ago. I have a really good doctor at the hospital, and he is accepting my phone calls (they don't usually, once you are discharged) and I have several of my regular doctors working with me too. One difficuly I have had is that I became toxic on the one medication on which they are pining most of their (and my) hopes. So I have to cut way back and start over again with it. I get confused and very scared. Richard has been very good through all this, and so of course has my dear Ellen. I don't know what I would do withoug her.

    I think as soon as I am well enough to make the trip I am going to Minnesota to visit and aunt who has always been very dear to me. It is as close as I can get to going home to my mom.

    I know that is what you would do if you were sick and could visit your mom. Don't you sometimes wonder how we will make it without then

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anita, my thoughts are with you -- I'm so glad that you plan to visit your beloved aunt. Take good care of you --

    ReplyDelete

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.