Monday, May 14, 2012

Tread Lightly

Communication is a funny thing.  It should seem so straightforward.  But, sometimes, what you say isn't what's heard by the listener. Or what you write in an email comes across differently than it would if the one receiving the message could hear the inflection of your voice.  In this day and age, we are bombarded by communications around the clock and in many forms -- spoken, written, texted, broadcasted.  It's hard to know how to filter it all to discern what is vital and what isn't.  The other day, I was in a conversation with someone whose message felt kind of hurtful.  I'm sure it wasn't intended that way, knowing the communicator.  On another day, I know I was short with my husband and ended up apologizing for something I thought I'd said rashly.  These encounters reminded me yet again of how important it is to weigh our words, think through our intentions, and respectfully and tactfully enter into dialogue with another person.  Treading lightly with our words just may make the difference in the other person's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.