Sunday, December 8, 2013

Made for Dancing

It's dance season again.  That's the time of year when it's dark as I get home from work and I can no longer safely go outdoors to exercise.  Instead, I tune in to some music and I dance -- all by myself in the living room. It's actually sort of a dance-aerobic exercise hybrid, but I call it dancing regardless.  And I am a lone dancer in our household. Larry nonchalantly walks by on his way to the kitchen, glances over my way, but doesn't feel the overwhelming need to join me as I flail around to the beat. Recently, I found myself dancing to Leif Garrett's 1970s-era hit, "I Was Made for Dancing" and I decided that it was my winter exercise theme song.  I truly love to move to music, whether I'm great at it or not.  The times in my life when I've taken dance lessons have been some of my happiest.  As adults, I think we easily become inhibited by our desire to not embarrass or draw attention to ourselves, while as children, if we heard a song, it just stood to reason that we danced.  There's a song that we sing at church called "The Lord of the Dance," which contains the lyrics, "dance, then, wherever you may be."  I may not be inclined to dance wherever I am, but most evenings, you will find me gyrating around in my living room. After all, as Leif Garrett sang, I was made for dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.