Sunday, June 22, 2014

Goodbyes

I have never been good at goodbyes. Yet, over the past year, I have said goodbye to friends who have moved out of town, friends who have moved out of state and friends who have passed away. Life is always evolving and changing.  However, many times it seems to do so at a snail's pace, until something more cataclysmic happens, such as a death or a move to distant parts. I've caught myself in a swirl of memories during those times, recalling happy moments from the past with those special people, wishing I could relive them so I could capture just one additional ounce of pleasure from the experience. The bigger lesson in these goodbyes for me has been to value each moment of each day, living in the actual moment instead of planning, worrying or living in a future that hasn't yet happened or to be stuck in a past that already was and may not have been as rose-colored as my memory chooses to recall. We are only given the present. That way, when the goodbyes do happen, they won't be met with regret, but, rather, with appreciation for having had the blessing of the relationship at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.