Sunday, August 5, 2018

Your Happiest and Truest Self


In my post on July 1, 2018, I wrote about simplicity from the perspective of over-consumerism and over-commitment. This month, let’s explore simplicity from yet another perspective—listening to what gives you bliss and to where the path is calling you.
On August 1, 2012, I posted to this blog a post called "Sheer Bliss." In the post, I noted that I had just finished reading Timeless Simplicity: Creative Living in a Consumer Society by John Lane (2002; ISBN: 1 903998 00 X). 
The book had somehow ended up in my hand as I browsed the vast collections of our local public library. Its title spoke to me.
For many years, I've been fascinated by the voluntary simplicity movement. I like to live a simpler, leaner life with fewer possessions, fewer obligations, fewer things to distract me from my enjoyment of the moment. 
I also am a seeker in that I always keep my eye on whether I'm living my life's calling and purpose. When I am following the path that is right for me, everything feels simpler. Everything falls into place. 
When I am not following the right path for me, things quickly feel more complicated.
John Lane's book took the concept of simplicity beyond materialism to a focus on the fulfillment of our life's purpose. The author contends that we tend to know by the time we're adolescents what gives us bliss, who we are and what we must do in order for us to be our happiest and truest selves. 
Our lives might take us on paths away from that bliss due to distraction, procrastination, etc., but Mr. Lane urges the reader to "be sensitive to whatever your gift is, and never let it go." 
I've been a writer for years and years. When I write, I enter a blissful state. I feel tingly all over and become euphoric just at the thought of writing. And when I actually sit down to do so, time melts away and I don't want it to end.
Public speaking is also a natural and enjoyable endeavor for me. Perhaps that's why I chose a college degree in speech communications.
What comes naturally to you? What activities give you such joy that time stands still? Pay attention to those times when you feel bliss.  Be sensitive to them. Then, find ways to follow the path of your heart to your happiest and truest self. Now, that will be sheer bliss.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.