Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Little Time Alone

I read a quote recently attributed to James Russell Loveall:  "Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character."  How I agree with Mr. Loveall.  When taking a Myers Briggs Personality Indicator Test one time, I found that I was nearly equal parts introvert and extrovert.  While I derive great energy from being with others and crave those experiences every day, I need time to myself, too.  That quiet time alone, without the stimulation of television, radio or internet, is when I do my best and most creative thinking.  In moments of solitude, my breathing levels off, my body slows down and my mind clears so that each thought is a complete picture, not interrupted by the static of disruptions.  As our lives get busier and busier and media messages are all around us, even held in our hands these days, we need some time to just be alone and unplugged, time to think, time to be.  That is a gift that only I can give myself and it is one I plan to enjoy unwrapping more often this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.