Thursday, December 6, 2012

Great Danes

It seems that everywhere I turn lately I learn something else fascinating about the people of Denmark.  In the documentary "Happy," I learned that Danes are considered to be the happiest people on the planet.  They have universal health care and free access to college, among the things to make them happy. But it's the way they live, the way they socialize that make them happy people.  They tend to live multi-generationally, not necessarily among family, but among others who become like family. A couple of days later, I saw a PBS program that described Danes as living in an economy that fosters upward mobility.  In fact, according to the TV program, Danes are considered the most upwardly mobile people in the world.  After learning these tidbits, I became so fascinated by the Danes that I searched the Internet, landing at denmark.dk, the "official website of Denmark."  There, I learned that they are so committed to a green, sustainable society that over 20% of Denmark's energy comes from renewable sources and they have a goal of 100% renewable energy by 2050.  They are known for commuting on two wheels, instead of four, relying on bicycles as a regular mode of transportation.  Their commitment to work-life balance is something to emulate -- something for me to learn...now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.