Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Making Christmas Music Memories

When Larry and I were in the car for several hours recently, I thoroughly enjoyed the confined time with him.  In addition to having time free of distractions for conversation and reading aloud, we listened to Christmas music on the car radio.  We sang along, tapping to the beat on the dash and steering wheel, all the while feeling the spirit of the season with each song.  Our car time together reminded me of Christmases from my childhood.  Santa always arrived while we were at church on Christmas Eve, so we opened our gifts on the evening of December 24.  On Christmas Day, Mom, Dad and I would pile into the car to head to Manitowoc and Two Rivers, Wisconsin to spend the holiday and several days thereafter with family and friends.  Both of my parents had parents and siblings living in those sister communities, as well as longtime friends, so it seemed as if we ran from one house to another, enjoying the joyful noise, merriment and treats of the season with people we loved.  All the way to Manitowoc, Mom, Dad and I would tune in the car radio to Christmas music, changing channels as needed to reach a new station when the previous one became filled with static.  Singing, humming and laughing while listening to Christmas music made our three-hour trip seem much shorter.  As Larry and I sang along with Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, Andy Williams and Burl Ives, I cherished these new moments made with him.  And, at the same time, I recalled lovely memories of decades ago when listening to Christmas music on the car radio with people I loved meant everything to this little girl.  May you have beautiful Christmas memories to remember and a day today filled with making new memories with those you love.  Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.