Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dad

Today would've been my father's birthday.  He was born November 21, 1918.  He passed away in 1984, so it has been a long time since I sang "Happy Birthday" to him.  On Sunday, November 11, our church observed Veteran's Day.  I felt as if Dad was very close that morning.  He had been born the same November as the first Veteran's Day was observed.  He was a World War II veteran himself.  That same Sunday service, we also happened to sing his favorite hymn, "Just As I Am."  I managed to get through the first two of the three verses we were asked to sing, but by the third verse, my voice was cracking.  Soon, my singing voice was silenced and tears of remembrance flowed down my cheeks instead.  After nearly 25 years since his death, it's amazing how much I still miss him.  I will spend today recalling so many happy memories and celebrating my good fortune of having such a wonderful man to call Dad.  Tomorrow, as we sit at the Thanksgiving table, Larry and I will have a slice of pie, Dad's favorite dessert.  Happy Birthday, Dad.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.