Saturday, November 10, 2012

Listener or Speaker

I have an acquaintance through Twitter who challenges me at times to consider a particular topic for my blog.  Recently, he asked the question:  "Stories are powerful, but who has more courage and trust, the story teller or the listener?  Or are they entwined in pursuit?"  As is always the case, his words made me pause and it took me some time to consider my response.  I had posted in this blog recently that I have the blessing of hearing people's stories, often through my work.  I see those lovely people as courageous for sharing their stories and I feel privileged to have their trust.  But, then, I received my friend's tweet and I started to look at the subject from other directions.  I still see the ultimate courage as coming from the story teller, for it isn't easy to open up and share the details of one's life that can be painful, intimate or serious.  But I see a different kind of courage coming from the listener.  The listener must be open to hearing the story and must live up to the trust the teller has in him/her.  Together, the story teller and listener share a sacred moment in our human experience, one that makes stories powerful, wonderful, magical and transcendent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.