Monday, March 4, 2013

Roots Run Deep

I sound so old saying this, but modern technology still amazes me.  I was reminded again of how much electronic communication has changed our lives while talking with a friend who has become acquainted with relatives in another country, thanks to social media.  He is busy connecting with these people who barely share the same language, getting acquainted, learning about the ties that bind them through mutual ancestors.  Thanks to this mode of communication, he and his wife are hoping to make a trip to see these relatives, to learn more about their expansive family tree.  It got me to thinking about other amazing stories I've heard recently, primarily due to the act of my writing a history book for the hospital where I work.  The ability to reminisce is powerful, for it seems to draw an even stronger link between people and their loved ones who have now passed on, erasing time between today and their cherished memories.  I believe we all wish to belong, to understand where we fit into the continuum, to have roots that run deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.