Thursday, March 6, 2014

Eating Like a Queen

Without fail, I prepare the same breakfast for myself every morning.  I love a big bowl of rolled oats, prepared with plump blueberries, ground flax seed and a heavy powdering of cinnamon.  That breakfast keeps my batteries charged until early afternoon when I finally have the time to take a lunch break.  One recent morning, however, I wasn't in the mood for my regular breakfast.  Instead, I wanted slices of sprouted-grain bread with a drizzle of honey.  As I was eating my slices of bread and honey, I started humming the children's nursery rhyme song, "Sing a Song of Sixpence," for I was eating like the queen! I wasn't in my parlour, however, but at our dining room table.  As I drove to work that day, I thought some more about the lyrics of that song and wondered just what they meant.  Why would someone want a pocketful of rye (other than to sow the seeds)?  For what reason would someone bake four and twenty live blackbirds in a pie?  Doesn't that seem barbaric?  And what kind of a children's song is it that requires a doctor to sew back on the maid's nose after it was pecked off by a blackbird (perhaps one that had flown off and missed being baked in the pie)? I read several interpretations of the poem online and found that there may be a lot of symbolism in it that could only have been understood and laughed at some 300 years ago. I guess I won't worry about.  Instead, I'll feel quite like a queen the next time I sit down to bread and honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.