Saturday, January 28, 2012

Casting the First Stone

I'm always looking for green cleaning methods, so when I noticed that mineral deposits had made vertical streaks down the back of our main level bathroom's toilet bowl, I went online to find a remedy.  I'd already tried applying drenched white vinegar cloths, but to no avail.  So, when I read about gently and carefully rubbing a dampened pumice stone on the stain (so as not to scratch the surface), I thought it was worth trying.  For little more than a $3.00 investment, I found my non-toxic solution.  It meant sitting with my legs around the toilet bowl and rubbing into the stains for a while, but every trace of mineral deposit came off, leaving the bowl sparkling, like-new clean.  Of course, Larry walked by just in time to see me in my serious cleaning position and laughed heartily, but even he had to admit that the pumice stone did the job.  We are so bombarded with chemicals in our lives these days that it's nice to know that something as simple as a pumice stone can do the trick on some hard-to-remove stains.  Each time I use a green cleaning method, I thank our beautiful planet for all that it gives to us. I hope that I'm helping in my own small way to give back to it and to make our world a happier, healthier place.

1 comment:

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.