Saturday, January 7, 2012

Fair Weather Friend

I'm a fair weather friend.  I should clarify:  I'm a friend of fair weather. I shy away from the severe stuff, be it a snowstorm or thunderstorm. I thrive on a mild, sunny day. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a consistently temperate climate.  Whatever would I have to talk about?  We in Wisconsin are always talking about the weather.  Lately, a typical conversation has been, "Can you believe how warm the weather's been?"  "No, I can't get used to the lack of snow. It feels like March."  And feeling like March, it does indeed.  According to a local meteorologist, we normally have experienced 20 inches of snow by this time but we've only had one-fifth of that so far this winter.  The temperatures are hovering at about 20 degrees above the norm.  We barely have enough snow on the ground to make a snowball.  Consequently, I took advantage of the nearly 50-degree temperature today to enjoy a nice Saturday walk to the public library to return a book, making sure that I took the long way home to soak up the beautiful day.  The winter birds sang, the squirrels scurried around with big nuts in their mouths, the buds on the ever-optimistic lilacs and magnolias appeared about ready to burst.  We know this unseasonably mild weather won't last but while it does, I'm celebrating the long January thaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.