Friday, January 6, 2012

Songs from the Stacks

Last evening, our local public library hosted the first of three monthly winter concerts designed to arrest cabin fever.  I always look forward to these free concerts.  They get me out of the house on a cold winter evening and warm my soul with a wide variety of musical styles.  Plus I always love being in the cozy environment of our library.  The neo-classical, brick and limestone building was built in 1903 as one of many Carnegie Free Libraries across the country.  Over a century of library patrons has been served in that lovely, old building.  Last night, live music lovers were served, as well.  Wafting from the stacks was the music of a trio of vocalists and guitarists who offered up an array of old favorites.  The concert didn’t so much pull me from my winter doldrums as it emphasized why I love life in this little town.  There’s a quaintness, a familiarity to events such as the library’s winter concert series.  There’s a sense of fellowship and community to be shared with all ages and all walks of life.  I left last evening’s event with a song in my heart for the gift of being able to hear good music among good friends and neighbors in a place I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.