Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Time for Spring Cleaning

It may sound kind of silly, but January and February are traditionally my months for spring cleaning.  I started this ritual a few years ago during a blizzard.  With nothing to do, I set to cleaning out cupboards, vacuuming behind the refrigerator, culling the closets of clothes and other belongings no longer worn or used, cleaning the insides of windows and basically getting our home gussied up for another year.  When April and May arrived, I was grateful to have done the big jobs while it was still sub-zero with feet of snow on the ground, for in the spring, I had only one thought in mind and it wasn't about cleaning.  When Daylight Savings Time rolls around again and the sun feels warmer and the sky looks bluer, I want to go outside and stay out there until the first frost.  So, in keeping with tradition, I enlisted the help of my husband Larry to clean the kitchen one recent Saturday.  Everything was wiped clean, even the tops of cupboards and light fixtures.  We, then, moved to the ceiling fan blades and the bathrooms where everything was dumped out of drawers, cleaned out and returned to their proper places.  It felt good to get such tiresome jobs done.  There's still more to do, but we have February for that. When spring really does arrive, I'll be able to march right outside, guilt free, and take in the season with joy, leaving my clean house behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.