Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Where I'm Supposed to Be

I recently read an article that admonished me to stop throwing away my energies, obsessing about a future that may never happen or reflecting about fantasies of the past.  Instead, the author suggested that I see the fulfilling moments right before me.  In so doing, I would validate and honor the here and now, recognizing that I am where I'm supposed to be.  There have been those times in my life when I've been ill or grieving when I couldn't imagine how I could possibly be where I'm supposed to be.  Yet, upon reflection, I've found that those places were indeed where I was intended to be at that time.  For it is from those difficult places that some of my most profound life lessons have come.  Even recently, I encountered that vital message again when I had the opportunity to revisit someplace from my past.  Sometimes, wistfully, I think it might be nice to be back in that place but my recent encounter helped me to realize that I have grown to a new place that is right for me for right now.  All of this reflection takes me back to my late mom's favorite Scripture passage:  "This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24).  Today is a gift.  It's where I'm supposed to be.  I'll be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.