Monday, June 4, 2012

The Gift of Friends

This spring, I have had the opportunity to enjoy more special times with my friends than I've had in a while.  A breakfast, a walk, a song, or a quiet visit from a shady deck, I have been connecting more frequently with my friends. And it feels so good.  I heard a respected physician during an interview recently extol the benefits of socialization, noting that human beings were meant to socialize, not be isolated.  As we get older, that socialization reportedly helps prevent depression and may even help delay the onset of age-related dementia. I feel as if I'm the Socialization Poster Child lately, for I am so enjoying my diverse and wonderful friends.  They are amazing people with so many profound things to say, fascinating interests, and outlooks on life that positively affect my own. And it's not just me.  Larry and I together have been connecting with other couples in very pleasant and in sometimes new ways.  As an only child, you'd think I'd love my own company most of the time, but I derive energy from the presence of others (so long as there's a balance of some quiet time, too), so this connection is life-affirming to me. When it's all said and done, I won't look back to measure my life based on my so-called accomplishments or if my house was clean or whatever.  I'll reflect on the wonderful people who have touched my life and the memories I'm making today with those very special friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.