Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Silver and Gold

As a child, I remember singing a little song about old and new friends being like silver and gold.  Last Saturday, I had a silver experience (or was it gold?).  Either way, the day was made brighter by these two special women in my life. In the morning, I sat at the comfortable kitchen table, mug of steaming hot water (my favorite beverage) in hand, with a wonderful friend.  I can chat with her about everything, important and not so important.  That day, we enjoyed quiet conversation about weather and gardening, health and loss.  In the afternoon, I enjoyed a visit with another friend whose eternal optimism and joyful disposition bring happiness to every encounter.  I have read a lot lately about the importance of having strong social bonds throughout life, especially as we grow older.  Those relationships help us to age in a healthier, happier fashion.  I realize that I could give up a lot, but those loving relationships with family and friends are among my most precious possessions.  I guess you could say that they are more precious than silver and gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.