Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Balancing Act

An eloquent woman I know began her banquet remarks recently with comments about the search for balance in our lives:  work vs. play, career vs. family, communicating via technology vs. engaging in face-to-face discourse.  It seems that the faster the pace of life races, the more we agonize over how to put on the brakes.  With so many demands for our precious 24 daily hours, I believe that we try to accomplish too much in a day, me included.  Each of our days moves at lightning speed anyway, giving way to months, years, decades.  Is it really necessary to live as if we are racing to the finish of each of those days, cramming as much as possible into our precious time?  Where is the joy in that?  Lately, I've been focusing on achieving that fine balance in my life, listening carefully to the messages of my inner voice.  When I relax and decrease the expectations I have for myself, my time takes on a new and more valuable meaning.  I give my full attention to those few things on my to-do list, elevating them to the importance they deserve, without distraction. It's a little too early during this growing season to stop and smell the roses, but I am stopping to hear the birds sing and watch the trees bud.  Nature has her own balancing act.  I have much to learn from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.