Saturday, May 18, 2013

Silver Anniversary

Today is my silver anniversary.  Twenty-five years ago today, I had surgery and learned that I was now a breast cancer survivor.  I was a young woman, not even out of my 20s, when that news came to me.  The realization of such a diagnosis would change my life forever, playing a major role in my choices, my decisions, my beliefs and my values.  At that instant, I realized that I was no longer immortal.  Everything was finite, but the question was what was I going to do with that finite amount of time as a breast cancer survivor?  Since then, I've defined myself in other ways and because of other circumstances, but the role of breast cancer survivor is still an important one for me.  Now, with graying hair and a few laugh lines, I am grateful for the medical professionals who helped me to be able to live those 25 years.  I look forward to the next 25 and being able to say that I'm celebrating my golden anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.