Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pole-ing Place

My husband Larry and I don't fish, but we walk by fishermen, women and children a lot while on evening walks along the south shore of Devil's Lake.  I enjoy watching people fish, for they always seem calm and meditative, happy to have the quiet of their sport on such a beautiful lake.  Fisher-people always seem friendly, as well.  It's not uncommon for us to have one person fishing after another smile and say a friendly greeting to us as we walk by them, extending friendship even when we don't know one another.  Although I won't likely take up fishing, I envy the moments that these fine folks spend in quiet communion with their fishing poles.  I believe we all need those gentle moments of stillness and centering and we need those special places where such acts as casting for fish bring us closer to ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.