Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Summer Gift

It must be summer (or very close to it) because I've been drawn once again to read Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh.  I tend to re-read the book at this time of year.  Perhaps it's the symbolism of the seashells in her wise writings that makes me think warm weather and sandy beaches, but there is something about the book that draws me back to it each June.  Although I've read it countless times since I was first introduced to it so many years ago, each June, I seem to be surprised by Mrs. Lindbergh's wisdom and her ability to tell so much in so few pages.  I soak up each word, reviewing what it means to me.  This year has been one of change in my life, so I find her essay about restlessness applicable and her essay about remaining open and choice-less liberating.  If you have never read Gift from the Sea, I highly recommend it be added to your summer reading list.  Like the seashells to which she refers, there are many wise thoughts inside the book, just waiting to be collected and studied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.