Thursday, November 21, 2013

Raising our Forks for Dad

Today was my dad's birthday.  Had he not died in 1984, he would have turned 95 years old today.  Although he's been gone for decades, without fail, we have continued to celebrate his birthday every year.  Dad favored a birthday pie over birthday cake, so Larry and I will have a slice of pie at a local restaurant tonight in his honor.  Dad particularly liked pumpkin, cherry, chocolate cream, coconut cream and lemon meringue, so we will select a slice among his favorites and raise our forks in honor of him.  Larry didn't come into my life until nearly a decade after Dad died, yet I see so many similarities between them. I daydream on days such as this of what a typical conversation might have been between them.  I daydream of laughter, serious discussion, intellectual bantering and really hitting it off.  Both Larry and Dad shared introspective personalities, a high degree of intelligence and an off-the-wall sense of humor.  Both Larry and Dad shared a faithfulness and steadfastness that make one feel safe and secure.  Both appreciated independent thinking and the adventures of self-employment.  So, tonight, as I raise my fork in remembrance of Dad, I will also raise my fork to the wonderful man across the booth from me, my loving husband Larry.  I know Dad would approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.