Monday, November 18, 2013

The Power of the Prosaic

I think it's a human tendency to measure our lives by the momentous occasions -- births, deaths, weddings, promotions, re-locations, vacations retirements.  But, I'm beginning to understand that the true measure of the value of my life is in the prosaic moments, those ordinary, commonplace experiences that seem to be gone in the blink of an eye, often going rather unnoticed, yet significant nonetheless.  The lesson is to see those so-called prosaic moments for the extraordinary occasions they truly are.  Every day, the sun comes up and every night, it sets, but do I take the time to really see and experience them every single day and evening?  A smile that someone gives to me or the squeeze that someone gives my hand may seem fleeting and insignificant, but to me, they can mean everything between feeling alone and feeling supported.  Paying attention to those everyday moments, adding them up and reflecting on them gives them the importance they deserve.  For in the end, it is those ordinary, prosaic moments that weave together to become the fabric of our lives well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.