Wednesday, February 12, 2014

6:35 a.m.

I'm used to rising between 5:30 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.  For months now, I've awakened to darkness. However, last Saturday, I let myself sleep in until a little after 6:30 a.m.  As I opened my eyes, something miraculous struck me.  It was no longer dark!  Although it wasn't completely daylight yet, there were hints of it through our bedroom window, enough for me to be able to make the bed in a tidy fashion without having to turn on a single light.  As I arise each day, I immediately list three things for which I am thankful.  That day, early sunrises were among my three things.  The increased daylight is such a gift.  It may be cold, it may be snowing, but the incremental addition of minutes of daylight do much to lift the spirits.  I couldn't help but think of the foreboding bass aria from Handel's "Messiah," "For Behold, Darkness Shall Cover the Earth." Darkness has covered the earth for the past few months, but we are now experiencing the day-by-day gift of light!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.