Saturday, February 22, 2014

Dollars to Donuts

I've been reading a book that features two sayings that remind me of special people in my life.  The first, "betting dollars to donuts," was something my late mother always said, as in, "I'd bet dollar to donuts that she is Susie's mom because they look so much alike."  I looked up the saying's origin online, learning that it was made popular in 19th century America.  It doesn't refer to a true bet, but rather, suggests certainty.  The alliteration of it makes it rather pleasant to say, as well. The other saying is "You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind."  Although the author appears unknown from my online research, the saying may have originated in Ireland.  This phrase reminds me of the late C.P. "Chappie" Fox, circus historian and author whose passion for antique circus wagons propelled him to amass an unparalleled collection for Circus World Museum.  One never to simply plow a field in his mind, Chappie used to say this phrase when emphasizing that you can't over-think an issue.  Sooner or later, you just have to do it.  I don't tend to use these sayings myself, but I just may start using them in honor of two people who influenced my life in ways for which I'll always be grateful.  And now to plow that field...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.