Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Good Month for Weddings


Move over, June. You may be a popular month for weddings, but I can see why my parents chose to get married in October, for it is truly a beautiful month. Today would have been their 64th wedding anniversary. My good friend Charlene told me that there are several October wedding anniversaries in her family, likely because it was a good time of year for the farming community.  I hadn't thought about it in that way before, but I can see that it makes sense.  When you work the land, you have to sort of wait for it to give you permission to do something other than work the land, if just for a day.  Another friend and her husband came from families that farmed.  She told me that they got married one morning long ago and then went back to work on the farm later that day.  It was just the way things were done.  My parents didn't farm, but they did love autumn.  As I look at their wedding picture, the day must've been mild, for neither one of them nor their best man and matron of honor were wearing coats.  October can be a bit of a fooler.  When it's sunny and mild, you almost forget that winter's on its way.  And then a hard frost comes, the vegetation looks darkened and limp. The produce had better have been picked because the wind kicks up cold and you know that Mother Nature has the upper hand.  Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.