Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sweet Onions

I love beautiful writing.  Sometimes, I encounter it in unexpected places and about unexpected subjects.  Such was the case when I sat down with the October 2012 edition of Whole Living Magazine.  I always enjoy reading that magazine. When it arrives in the mailbox, my heart beats a little faster with anticipation because Whole Living is always chocked with useful, practical information about living well.  In the latest edition, as I was taking in all that the magazine had to offer, I encountered an article about onions by Marisa Robertson-Textor that was so beautifully written that I had to re-read several times.  I even read it aloud to myself.  Just as onions add wonderful flavor to any dish, so was this article written with flavor.  The writer noted the graceful beauty of onions and she did it with grace and beauty through the selection and weaving of her words.  How often when I'm drying tears with the back of my sleeve as I slice onions do I think of them as "an inevitable heap of rounded, translucent sweetness"?  Ms. Robertson-Textor has mastered the ability to tell a story, a real story that pulls you in about, of all things, onions.  Thanks to her, I now know that they're part of the lily family. Thanks to her, I now see onions' concentrically circular design as amazing and beautiful and worth some additional attention when I slice into them.  Thanks to her, I'll never look at an onion the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.