Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Power of Story

Due to my work, I have many opportunities to hear people's stories.  They generously share them, sometimes when they are the most vulnerable and at other times in what feel like ordinary moments.  Although the stories may take place in ordinary moments, the stories themselves are far from it.  They are powerful, insightful and brimming with the highs and lows of life itself. I have come to realize that each person with whom I interact has the profound ability to teach me something that will positively affect my life going forward.  I truly believe in the power of story, for in sharing with others the tales of our lives, we sort out the details in our own minds and, at the same time, we impart wisdom (usually inadvertently) to others. Sharing our stories takes an element of courage and a certain level of trust of the listener. I am grateful to those who share their stories with me, for I am the one who is blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.