Monday, January 2, 2012

I Love a Mystery

Just as the warm familiarity of comfort food envelops me like a blanket, I like to indulge in comfort reading, particularly the old-fashioned, cozy-type of mysteries.  And so as I ring in the new year, I've been reading old Agatha Christie favorites: Hercule Poirot's Christmas and Mrs. McGinty's Dead.  I've always loved a mystery, beginning as a girl when I read Nancy Drew's many adventures.  When I was about 12 years old, my mom introduced me to Dame Agatha.  Since then, I've spent many happy hours reading and re-reading her clever puzzles and plots featuring the likes of Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and Tommy and Tuppence, never tiring of the way she told a story. Miss Marple is admittedly my favorite.  I love how she could find extraordinary connections to the crimes at hand in her ordinary, small-village life.  While snuggled this weekend under my "Literary Dreams" quilt from my friend Kitty, I've also kept one eye to the television to take in reruns of Murder She Wrote and Matlock.  So, with one foot in the new year, I wax nostalgic and embrace the old by reading and watching favorite mysteries of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.