Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Warm Gifts

I learned at church on Sunday that a recent winter coat drive organized by Girl Scouts at a local ski resort resulted in the collection of 80 new and gently used coats and snow pants and 60 hats, scarves, mittens and winter boots for local children in need.  It's heartwarming to learn of such generosity, especially when so many feel hardship these days.  Hearing the news of the successful collection took me back to my childhood.  Our elementary school principal used to send me, when I was in fourth and fifth grades, with younger children from our school to a nearby store to fit them with winter boots, coats and the like.  The principal was undoubtedly using her own hard-earned money to clothe these children appropriately for the elements.  Time and time again, she would place money in my hand and send me with a young charge to The Outlet Store, which carried everything from clothing to furniture.  There was need then and there is need now.  And, thankfully, there are still generous souls reaching out in kindness and compassion to touch lives in such warm and significant ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.