Saturday, April 28, 2012

Giving From the Heart

For most of my professional career, I've had the opportunity to be on the receiving end of people's boundless generosity.  For nearly 12 years now, I've been a fundraiser, but for the 15 years prior, I was a public relations director/volunteer coordinator.  In that previous position, I first learned just how generously people give from the heart, not expecting any remuneration or recognition, just the pure joy of giving so that our world will be a brighter place.  April is National Volunteer Month, and Larry and I attended a recent dinner to recognize our local hospital's volunteers.  One volunteer was recognized that evening for 49 years of service.  I know that woman, and our hospital is not the only place where she volunteers.  Ida is one busy woman, always giving to organizations that have meaning to her.  My mom was an active volunteer, particularly in her retirement years.  When I composed her obituary, it was almost mind-boggling just how many organizations I listed that had benefited from her time and talent.  We all have something precious to give for the betterment of our neighborhood, community or world.  I would challenge us all to find those organizations whose values resonate with our own and to give of our time, talent and treasure.  We will be better people for it and the world will be better, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.