Saturday, April 7, 2012

Seeing Spring

The other day, my friend and work colleague Cathy forwarded to a few women from the office a lovely poem by Su Tung-p'o.  Written in 1077, the author examined the many beautiful elements of spring, from flowering pear tree blossoms to the greening of the willows, ending with the question, "In a lifetime how many springs do we see?"  As I have been enjoying our long spring this year and the subtly ever-changing landscape, I, too, wonder how many times I have truly paid attention to the beauty of spring.  Examining the author's question more deeply and assigning my own interpretation to it, I think of how there is always something beautiful to find in life, there is always a spring somewhere, something of which to be keenly aware and for which to be deeply grateful.  As a little girl in our church's children's choir, the other children and I sang a song called Summer in My Heart that contained the lyrics, "Ev'n in winter time, it's summer in my heart."  So, I challenge myself to see as many springs as I can around me in each and every day and to remember that regardless of the seasons, it's summer in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Thank You again for a wonderful eye opening entry! Today after ready Saturdays entry Michael and I went for a walk. Now where we live its not far to open fields as far as you can see and small groves of trees. We both commented on the birds and the new growth all around us. Upon entering our yard Michael and I walked around and took a good look! It was wonderful "Seeing Spring!"

    Thank You Many Times!!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.