Saturday, March 16, 2013

Jump!

Recently, I had the occasion to visit a local elementary school to watch children participate in a program that the foundation for which I work had sponsored.  The program, called Grade 3 Fun 'n Fit, encourages physical activity and fosters an understanding of the importance of such activity, as well as good nutrition.  Each week during the six-week program, the children receive a free gift, ranging from water bottles to refrigerator magnets.  That particular week, the children received their free jump ropes and even demonstrated some of their jump roping talents.  All of a sudden, someone in the group asked if I'd like to join them jumping rope.  It's been years and years and years since I jumped rope.  I had always loved jumping rope as a child.  I did so during elementary school recesses and the minute I got home from school.  Did I still have the skill?  Did I still have the stamina?  I surprised myself by grabbing the rope, and as if the years melted away, I was a third grader once again, reveling in the joys of jumping rope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.