Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Loosely Held Together

My friend Nancy asked me recently if I had ever learned how to shimmy and I told her I had not.  In fact, I told her that I was likely glued too tightly together to be able to shimmy.  People who can shimmy are able to shake their cores with such speed that they appear to vibrate. I've never seen a person shimmy in the flesh, only in the movies. My most vivid recollections are of a blonde girl from old 1960s beach movies.  The girl wore fringed clothes that showed off her shimmying abilities and shimmy she did, every time the music had a pulsating beat that lent itself to her shaking and quivering.  Perhaps as a teen, I might have entertained the idea of learning how to shimmy. But now that I'm in my mid-50s, I wouldn't even attempt it.  I'd either dislocate something or parts of me would keep shimmying even after I'd stopped.  I'll keep dancing, but I'll choose the kind that allows me to stay tightly glued together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.