Friday, March 8, 2013

Old People's Prom

My husband Larry loves music, but is rarely seen on the dance floor.  I, on the other hand, could dance the night away. Larry and I attempted ballroom dance lessons several years ago, but gave up after disagreeing over who should lead and who should follow. We each experience the beat of the music uniquely and differently, making dancing a challenge to us and likely an eyesore to others.  However, one recent Saturday evening, we attended a party at which a D.J. played some old 1970s tunes to warm up the crowd.  The minute that one particular piece came on, I urged Larry to join me on the dance floor for just one dance.  It was a slow number, so we felt pretty secure that we could sway back and forth and not look too silly.  The song to which we danced was a staple of school dances of the 70s and often a prom theme.  Larry admitted that it was his junior prom song.  So, as we swayed to the music, I started to giggle.  Looking around the room, with rare exception, most who were dancing around us were of an age that the song could have been their prom theme, too.  Pretty soon, I was laughing right out loud, for I envisioned us at an Old People's Prom where everyone has gray hair and is still in that 70s version of slow-dancing, draped over each other, shifting their weight back and forth.  My totally strange reaction may be the reason that that was our only dance that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.