Sunday, March 10, 2013

Music Appreciation

At 17 years of age, I had been exposed to a certain variety of music, but as a college freshman enrolled in a music appreciation course, I expanded my musical horizons and became a fan of light classical music.  The classical piece that changed my world was Ravel's "Bolero."  This was in the day before the movie "10" had come out featuring the memorable running-on-the-beach scene.  Just recently while in the car, I tuned in to public radio and what should be playing but "Bolero."  The years melted away. I vividly recalled hearing the piece for the first time in that freshman music appreciation class, being pulled in to the mesmerizing rhythms, the pulsating music growing in volume and intensity until it was sweeping and swirling all around me.  That recent day, the music moved me just as it had that first time so many years ago.  Listening to "Bolero" on the car radio was truly a joy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.