Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Best Friends with Baking Soda

Baking soda, how do I use thee?  Let me count the ways:  Use it to clean the bathtub instead of scouring powder.  Mix with a little water into a thick paste to clean the inside of the oven.  Mix with more water to make an all-purpose cleaner. Combine with white vinegar and clean a drain.  Sprinkle in the bottom of trash cans to reduce odors.  Shake onto carpets and vacuum to freshen the room.  Remove grease from kitchen surfaces and from clothing.  Get rid of countertop stains.  Boost detergent and freshen the laundry.  One could lose count of baking soda's many possible uses, aside from baking.  In my continuous effort to use non-toxic cleaning solutions, baking soda has become a staple. Many cleaning products contain dangerous, corrosive ingredients.  Baking soda is a great alternative:  It's versatile, it's cheap, it's natural, and it's right on the grocer's shelf.  So, as another Earth Day rolls around and I take stock of what eco-friendly decisions I can make, I'm grateful for the many ways that baking soda freshens my world without harming it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.