Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Earth Day

Today is Earth Day. And on this day, I think of my mom who embraced Native American wisdom about the sacred nature of our planet.  Among her cherished possessions was a bookmark with the following quote attributed to Chief Seattle in 1854:  "Mother Earth - The earth is our mother.  Whatever befalls the earth, befalls the children of the earth.  This we know.  The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth.  All things are connected like the blood which unites one family.  We did not weave the web of life; we are merely strands in it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves."  At the time of Mom's death, I collected writings that I felt were significant to her and we included them in the written program handed out at her memorial service.  The Chief Seattle quote was among those included writings.  As we observe Earth Day today, I feel a closeness to my mom and her preserve-the-Earth values. And like Chief Seattle, I honor my role as a mere strand in the web of life.  Happy Earth Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.