Monday, April 2, 2012

Eating At Me

There's been a lot of buzz lately about a new book by Tracie McMillan called The American Way of Eating (Scribner).  I heard an interview with the author and have read a couple of reviews, but haven't read the book yet.  From what I've read and heard, however, Ms. McMillan embedded herself in places where people grow crops, purchase groceries and dine out, researching how people in America eat and the factors that prevent them from always having access to healthy food.  Food insecurity, food hardship and hunger are all around us.  I read in a University of Wisconsin-Extension report that in my own state, the number of people who were uncertain if they would have enough food rose to 11.8% within the past couple of years.  In my own county during that same period, between 12.7% and 13.8% of the population suffered from food hardship --when people don't always have money to buy the food they need.  Thankfully, there are great people seeking powerful solutions to hunger, from dedicated food pantry volunteers to those who teach families about gardening and canning, and more.  My late mother had been very involved with our local food pantry for many years.  I'm grateful to people like my mom who are using their energies to lift others up and see that they have a good meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.