Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Building Muscle

I recently read that imagination is like a muscle -- it needs exercise.  I'd never thought about it in that way, but it makes sense to me. The older I get, the more I feel shackled by all of my planning and organizing.  I realize that in the work setting, in particular, goal-setting and planning are necessary to holding everyone accountable, achieving results and keeping an organization on track.  However, there are times when I just want to burst outside of my sterile and staid planner/organizer-self, where things feel predictable and prescribed, and simply let my imagination fly.  As much as I don't always like to embrace change, there are times when I'm compelled to leap outside of the constraints of status quo and do some visioning, letting my imagination soar beyond anyplace that has boundaries or is even comfortable for me.  I've been doing a lot of that type of thinking over the past year -- private visioning, I guess you'd call it, where I allow myself time to contemplate, stretch my thinking to its farthest horizons and determine how that bigger vision might be of benefit to me and hopefully to others.  I may not achieve the status of a Mr. (Ms.!) Universe, but I am really enjoying the time I've been spending on building my imagination "muscles."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.