Monday, January 20, 2014

Skillet Creek Memories

There has been some discussion lately about the history of a building several miles outside of town.  It's now a single-family home, but at one time was a schoolhouse and later was a town hall where I used to attend 4-H meetings as a child.  I knew of children who were in Scouting, but it seemed that those of us who grew up in the country in that day were members of 4-H.  Ours was the Skillet Creek 4-H Club, which is still active today.  I recall little of our meetings, but I do recall the parties and projects, including a safety poster we were each to make.  Being of limited artistic talent, I recall my large sheet of white tag board primarily featuring a big red stop sign I had drawn and colored in.  I don't even remember the rest of the message on the poster, just the painstaking effort I had made to correctly draw the stop sign.  While in 4-H, I also participated in the Sauk County Fair by entering a decoration I made out of driftwood, on which I had glued a bird and some other natural elements.  I also created a table setting, complete with placemat, napkin, dinnerware and silverware.  I didn't receive a blue-ribbon for many of my entries, but I did have fun being part of the club and I found it applicable to the rest of my life when pledging the 4 H's:  My head to clearer thinking, my heart to greater loyalty, my hands to larger service and my health to better living for my club, my community, my country and my world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.