Thursday, January 17, 2013

Like a Hawk


With the landscape subdued in shades of tan, taupe, brown and white these days and the trees bare silhouettes, I found it easier one recent day while traveling west to see two hawks.  Then, about a week later while traveling in the opposite direction, I spotted four more hawks.  Each of the hawk encounters was the same: Perched at the top of deciduous trees or directional signs, still sentinels scanning the landscape for a tasty morsel. Might those tasty morsels have been mice moving with stealth through the remaining random corn stalks or burrowing through the snow? I feel so fortunate when I get to witness such scenes in nature, when my life slows down sufficiently to see these beautiful sights. Those recent wintery days were a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.