Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Rugged Vegetables

Gladys Taber, my beloved late mother's favorite author, wrote in one of her books that she liked eating what she called "rugged vegetables":  cabbage, parsnips and carrots.  I'm with Gladys.  Even in the mid-winter, I crave those tasty farmer's market treats.  Our local health food store has organic cabbage and locally grown carrots, so I've been filling up on rugged vegetables at lunchtime lately.  Although not necessarily rugged, I also had pureed organic winter squash as my supper one recent evening when Larry was away.  Larry's not crazy about squash, so it was a special treat for me to make it my meal.  Such bright orange goodness!  With a couple of sprouted grain bread slices and a sprinkling of walnuts on top of the squash, I was in ecstasy!  An organic Pink Lady apple for dessert and the meal was complete!  With a belly full of rugged and not-so-rugged, good food, I'm ready for whatever our rugged winter sends our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Select a profile from the drop-down menu if you do not have a Google account. If you select Name/URL, enter your name. Comments may be moderated before posting.